GURBAANI.COM


Historical Gurdwaras in India

State of WEST BENGAL



Malda

1) Gurdwara Nima Serai Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur
- Malda, a district town situated on the banks of Mahananda River was visited by Guru Nanak Dev and Guru Tegh Bahadur. A commemorative shrine existed of old in Power House Lane in Sarbari area of Old Malda. It was called Gurdwara Nima Serai Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur. With the rise of the new Malda Town across the river, old Malda got greatly depopulated and the Sikh Gurdwara was deserted. Yet two masonry platforms and an old well remained on the site which continued to be shown as Gurdwara property in revenue records. Interest in the old Gurdwara was revived during the 1960s when a Sikh contractor in road-building business constructed a compound wall around the remains. Subsequently, other Sikhs, mostly road transporters, who first constructed Gurdwara Singh Sabha in New Malda, took up the restoration of the historical shrine in Old Malda. It is now named Sri Prayag Sahib, Sarbari and Old Malda.


Murshidabad

Murshidabad on the banks of the Ganges and lying along the Howrah-Lalagola section, and Nalhati on the Howarh-Kiul section of Eastern Railway also had Udasi-controlled Gurdwaras dedicated to Guru Nanak Dev, who is said to have visited these places, but they are no longer extant.


Calcutta(Kolkatta)

1) Gurdwara Bari Sangat
- The city of Calcutta came up long after the time Guru Nanak Dev, who perhaps visited the ancient Hindu temple at Kali Ghat. Two Sikh Sangats, called Bari Sangat and Chhoti Sangat, have certainly existed for a long time in Calcutta. Gurdwara Bari Sangat in Tullapati Cotton Street is the most notable historical Gurdwara in West Bengal. The site formed part of the estate of Raja Hazuri Chand, who built and maintained it. After his death his daughters Shyam Kaur and Lila Kaur continued to look after it. Later, however, the management fell into incompetent hands. A management committee was formed in 1259 Fasali (A.D. 1852). It improved the condition of the Gurdwara, but mismanagement again set in in the beginning of the 20th century. Between 1910 and 1922 the Gurdwara building and property were mortgaged four times, everytime for a higher amount. A new 16 member's management committee was formed in April 1920. In December 1920 it was decided to hand over the Gurdwara to the newly formed Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee at Amritsar. Sardar Sundar Singh Majithia and Bhai Mohan Singh Vaid served on the local managing committee during 1923-25, but the finances of the Gurdwara showed no sign of improvement and the S.G.P.C. refused to take over the Gurdwara. Meanwhile the last mortgagee went to court which decided, on 11th December 1929, that unless the dues were cleared within six months, the Gurdwara would be auctioned. This was, however, avoided as a result of mutual understanding between the parties. The debt was ultimately cleared by April 1937 and since then the Gurdwara has been functioning well.

2) Gurdwara Chhoti Sangat
- is in Baghmari area near Dum Dum airport.





 
Other Historical Gurdwaras in India
Assam Karnataka
Bihar Madhya Pradesh
Delhi Maharashtra
Haryana Orissa
Himachal Pradesh Punjab
Jammu and Kashmir Rajasthan
....
.
Feel free to use the contents of the text of this site to spread the message of Gurbaani. SiteMap